We’re recruiting sessional playworkers to provide stimulating play opportunities over the school holidays. Send CVs/covering letters or requests for further information to email@example.com. We will consider applications on a rolling basis.
Job Title: Sessional Playworker
Reporting to: Play Leader
Responsible to: Playground Manager / Trustees PAP CIO
Salary: £10 per hour (via Payroll) / £12 per hour (self-employed)
Hours of work: On a sessional basis. During term time the playground is open 3.15 – 6.15pm Tuesday – Friday. Hours of work include time to set up and clear away before and at the end of each session. On Saturdays and in school holidays sessions are 12.30 – 3.30pm. Session times may vary, successful applicants may also be offered sessions at Highfields Adventure Playground.
Main purpose of the job
To facilitate stimulating opportunities for free play and recreational activities for children and young people attending Pitsmoor Adventure Playground, actively listening and responding to children and young people’s needs
Key tasks and responsibilities
Working as part of the staff team
- To ensure that there are appropriate resources and materials available for children to use, adapt and change to create a playful environment, extending opportunities for play in a natural environment, making the maximum use of the features and landscape within the adventure playground.
- To actively consult and seek ideas from children and young people to create exciting and enjoyable play activities, according to the playwork principles, covering all play types and using risk benefit assessments to manage risk.
- To supervise, participate in and evaluate these play activities in co-operation with other members of staff and in accordance with the play cycle, play cues and play frame.
- To promote inclusive play for all and facilitate the positive integration of children and young people with disabilities and/or additional needs.
- To ensure that the play environments indoors and outdoors are clean, safe and secure and to report any defects where necessary.
- To participate in preparation and planning for play and clearing up at the end of each session
- To help maintain accurate records of attendance and all accidents, incidents, complaints and concerns, including completion of necessary forms.
- To use positive behaviour management strategies.
- To assist with collecting and recording data, individual records, reports and other relevant information.
- To participate in relevant meetings and training as required.
- To carry out all duties in accordance with current legislation and within the policies and procedures of the playground especially those concerned with safeguarding children / child protection, equal opportunities, health and safety, confidentiality and data protection. Successful candidates will be required to undertake an enhanced DBS check.
- To ensure that personal conduct in and out of work does not conflict with the professional expectations of the organisation
- To undertake any other activities that are within the scope and purpose of the job that may be required from time to time.
Pitsmoor Adventure Playground: Sessional Playworker Person Specification
|Qualifications||Essential (E) Desirable (D)|
|NVQ Level 2 or Level 3 or equivalent in Playwork||D|
|Ability to work constructively as part of a team||E|
|Ability to work with minimum supervision and use initiative||E|
|Ability to form positive relationships with children and young people||E|
|Good communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people||E|
|Good organisational skills||E|
|Experience of using IT||D|
|Knowledge and Experience|
|Experience of working, paid or unpaid with 5 – 14 year olds in a diverse, multi-racial community||E|
|Experience of working, paid or unpaid in open access play provision at an adventure playground||D|
|Understanding of creating play environments that are child or young people led||D|
|Knowledge and understanding of the playwork principles and play cycle||D|
|Experience of using strategies to promote positive behaviour||D|
|Awareness of good health and safety practice and risk benefit assessment relevant for play provision||D|
|Knowledge, experience and commitment to equal opportunities and understanding of religious and cultural diversity||E|
|A positive attitude towards engaging children and young people||E|
|A commitment to safeguarding the welfare of children and young people||E|
|Enthusiasm for adventure play||E|
|Willingness to undertake training and opportunities for professional development||E|